Fueling the fire I started about instagram a while back.
Fueling the fire I started about instagram a while back.
It’s Thursday, must be time to tell you all the stuff I hate this week.
1. Swagger or Swag. Oh you think you have swag? In my country a swag is a roll out bed and all your belongings bundled up into one neat pack, used specifically by bushmen or camping types. I don’t think you have a swag. I appreciate it when old words get reused, I like the fluidity of language so it’s not the words that I’m against here it’s the constant use. I’m so sick of hearing about such and such having swag and swagger. All I’m going to think is that such and such is a giant douche. Oh wait I thought that already!
2. Book hype. I think I hate this one because it’s the one that sucks me in so easily. I really hate myself around book hype. I get all consumer driven and desperate. “My life won’t be complete until I’ve read ‘Important Book’! I must have it now!” And before I know it I’ve spent $30 on The Night Circus and I’m never going to finish it because, in the end, I was swept up by the idea of the book more than it’s merits.
3. Over the top Photoshop. “Um excuse me, Beyonce? Are you really Beyonce? You look nothing like your pictures.” May I direct you here and here for evidence? Is it any wonder that women are killing themselves (figuratively, hyperbolically and literally) to fit an image that is completely unattainable? Don’t even get me started on the whole feminist rant that I have for this.
4. Reality TV. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it until everyone bloody well agrees with me. Reality TV is ruining our brains. I don’t want to watch another TV show about housewives or weird people who are products of their environments! I hate watching shows about parents exploiting their children and vice versa. I want to sit down and watch TV that has a plot thank you very much! I know I can just switch of and I do, but TV content is becoming so focussed on “reality” that I’m running out of things to watch. And I love TV. I grew up with TV! I’m a TV nerd. Perhaps not so much anymore.
Thursday gripe done! Begone and spread the word!
Lots of bloggers out there enjoy putting together a Fav List or a Lust List or a Love List. This trend, like so many on the internet, is great and also annoying! Sometimes the lists are fabulous, like Felicia Day’s Fav Five on her weekly Flog (YouTube her! Seriously, like now!). Other lists are less than cool, often just trite. So in opposition of this I’m starting a Loathe List!
1. Ombré! Whether it’s your fingernails, cakes or your God Damn hair, I hate it! Ombré is French for dark to light or vice versa. Great. But stop pretending you’re not growing out a bad dye job by making it something trendy! And dark purple to lavender cakes, enough! You baked a cake, it doesn’t taste any better if you make it a different colour OK!?
2. Cake Pops. There is no way to make cake better! Putting cake on a stick is cute if done right, but it’s also a logistical nightmare! It’s hard enough to eat a cupcake imagine the loss of cake once you bite into said cake pop. These are not toffee apples people. These are a food stuff that loses it’s integrity upon eating. Cake pops make me sad.
3. Movie Chatterboxes. As a former notorious movie talker (seriously, people have been known not to sit next to me for this very reason) I have worked hard to curb my desire to chat in the cinema. Especially if the numbers in the cinema are below 15-20 people. It’s the acoustics in a cinema that makes even the most whispered of comments audible to other theatre goers. This problem is exacerbated by limited numbers. More bodies in the movie somehow provides sound proofing between rows. Or perhaps if numbers are limited then people feel they are in a more intimate setting and want their comments heard. Whatever, people please SHUT THE FUCK UP! OK sorry to get all green and gamma rayed on you there.
4. Instagram. Controversial I know but I can’t stand Instagram. It might be that I’m sick of looking at photos that are filtered, square and have borders or it could be that Instagram doesn’t make anybody a photographer, yet a lot of people are under that impression! Before I went to Europe I worked out how to use my point and shoot Sony and since then I have taken some photos that I’m really proud of. Does that mean that I’m going to open an exhibition soon? No. And all I had to do to get these photos was learn about my equipment. I didn’t need an app!
Thursday gripe complete!
PS I mostly only mildly annoyed by these things, except number 3. I hate those guys!
Hey you guys.
According to my weekly schedule Thursday is gripe day! I was worried I wouldn’t have anything to gripe about, but you know, I have lots to gripe about. Today I’m going to gripe about migraines.
I’m currently suffering from a severe headache. One that has a sensitivity to bright things, is aggravated by loud noises, off vision and may eventually lead to worshipping at the porcelain altar. In other words I have the indicator headache to a full blown migraine.
A migraine, for all you non sufferers, is one of the single most painful things your body can do to you without there being blood or breaks. For anywhere between 12-72 hours the sufferer must be locked in a quiet, dark (preferably no light at all) room with a bucket.
The pain can come in waves or increase steadily.
My worst one had me awake in the middle of the night wishing I had a screw driver to force through my temple to stop the pain. It was at a 24 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst pain you have ever experienced.
I have many different ways of describing the pain, from a sedate “It feels like my brain is going to burst through my eyes.” to “I think someone is scraping the inside of my skull with a chisel.”
It’s not a friendly feeling. Especially if you have to redecorate your bathroom with last night’s roast.
So that was my gripe.